Printing with Purpose
The Sustainability Institute at Western Technical College in La Crosse, WI selected Empire as one of four pilot companies in the Seven Rivers Region to participate in a nationally-recognized sustainability program, MPower. Sponsored by Sustain Dane out of Madison, WI, we stand alongside our MPower partners Walmart Store #5217 (South La Crosse), Habitat ReStore, and HSR Associates. Together, we will cultivate good stewardship of resources in our community; grow awareness about sustainability; and make our region the best place to live, work, and play.
With this committment, we're doing all we can to make our processes environmentally friendly:
- Empire is certified by the State of Wisconsin as a Green Tier Company for going above and beyond local, state, and EPA environmental standards. Below are our annual EMS reports:
- We were recognized by Specialty Graphics and Imaging Association (SGIA) for superior sustainability practices. They also made a case study about our sustainability practices.
- As a film-free facility, our digital direct-to-screen and direct-to-plate units eliminate the need for petroleum-based film and hazardous film developing chemicals.
- Solvent reclamation and ink recycling practices have been in place since 1988.
- Ink systems with low VOCs and less hazardous air pollutants are used at Empire. 95% of our inks are UV, eliminating the need for solvent-based inks.
- We are the first company to successfully utilize UV LED curing in screen printing as an economical and environmentally sustainable print method.
- UV LED curing technology produces no ozone emissions, reduces energy consumption, and eliminates the need for high-energy mercury vapor bulbs. Check out our Prezi presentation to learn more.
- Our vehicle fleet is comprised of energy efficient gas/electric hybrids that drive down fuel costs and provide for a more sustainable future.
- Lighting and HVAC system upgrades/replacements continue to move us towards energy efficiency and environmentally friendly refrigerants.
- We have implemented a successful plant-wide recycling program that dramatically reduces our carbon footprint.
- Striving for a paperless workflow, Empire has the ability to provide digital proofs, quotes, notifications, and online ordering. This improves efficiency and reduces waste.
- We promote sustainability in production through the lean business model and cellular manufacturing.
- Our "Green Team" is committed to researching and evaluating ways to reduce, re-use, and recycle at all levels of the company.